I bring you the best and easiest mashed potatoes ever!
Have you heard about the Instant Pot? It’s a widely popular pressure cooker.
I got one for my birthday and admittedly the thing scared me to death. I had this irrational fear that it was going to explode or I was going to burn my face with it. Neither of those things have happened by the way. Anywho or anyhoo…I put the thing in my closet and ignored it.
A friend of mine got one and was raving on FB every night about the great dinners she was making with it and how wonderful it was. Those posts got me to thinking that maybe I should learn how to master this thing.
So I dragged the pot out of the closet and did what any sensible Idahoan would do and made mashed potatoes.
Because why not?
I know you can make great mashed potatoes without an Instant Pot, but I swear this is so much quicker especially on a weeknight.
They are simple to make – Pour the chicken broth into the Instant Pot, add the rack to the bottom of the pot. Peel and quarter the potatoes and place into the pot. Seal and set the manual timer to 8 minutes. Once the potatoes are done remove them from the pot and place into a bowl. Mash with a potato masher and then add the rest of the ingredients.
Do you have an Instant Pot? What have you made in it?
- 3 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and cut into quarters
- 1 cup chicken broth
- ¼ cup milk*
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 ounces cream cheese
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Pour the cup of chicken broth into the Instant Pot. Place the rack in the bottom of the pot.
- Peel and quarter your potatoes and place them in the pot.
- Close lid, seal vent, hit manual and set the timer for 8 minutes.**
- Once the time is up, carefully move the knob from seal to vent (I use a long-handled wooden spoon.)
- Remove the lid and remove the potatoes and place into a bowl.
- Mash with a potato masher, add the milk, butter and cream cheese. Mix until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
**My Instant Pot took 8 minutes to come to pressure and then it cooked for 8 minutes.