I bring you chocolate…
*If you think you’ve seen this post before, you have. I moved servers and lost this post so I’m reposting it.*
Seriously, make these! Your loved one will love you even more than they already do and your self will love you too.
Valentine’s Day is just around the corner and what better way to tell your significant other that you love them than with a decadent molten lava cake?
These are much easier to make than you think. You only need 2 6 oz. ramekins and a few ingredients. I used a heart-shaped ramekin because I wanted to do something cute for you, but circular ramekins will be perfect.
Let’s talk chocolate chips. Use the very best chocolate chips you can afford. I personally like Ghirardelli (not sponsored) chocolate chips because I like their flavor. Any kind will do.
Also, I use salted butter in all my baking because we love salted butter. You can use unsalted butter if you prefer.
- Cooking spray
- ⅓ cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 4 tablespoons salted butter
- 3 tablespoons white sugar
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg plus 1 large egg yolk
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Spray two 6 ounce ramekins with cooking spray.
- In a small microwaveable bowl, add the semisweet chocolate chips and the butter. Place in the microwave and cook in 30 second intervals until melted. Be sure to stir between intervals. In my microwave it only took 2 intervals.
- To the chocolate chip and butter mixture add the white sugar and vanilla extract. Mix until the sugar is well incorporated and the mixture begins to cool.
- Add the eggs and mix well.
- Add the flour and mix.
- Pour the chocolate mixture evenly into each ramekin. Place the ramekins onto a baking sheet.
- Cook for 13-14 minutes. The top of the cake will be cooked, but the inside will be runny. Don't insert a knife into the center to check for doneness because that will cause the chocolate to ooze out and then cook.
- Take the cakes out of the oven, remove from the baking sheet and allow to cool for only 3 minutes. Run a knife around the outside of the cakes and turn the ramekins upside down onto a plate.
- Serve immediately with whipped cream or ice cream.