Cheesy Saucy Spaghetti Squash is exactly how it sounds, full of sauce and cheese. Essentially the perfect meatless dish, all of the flavor none of the carbs.
I’ve been on a bit of a health food kick and feel the need to add more to my blog. I used to think that eating healthy meant boring, but not anymore. I’ve really loved this healthy oven-baked “fried” chicken and having a healthy breakfast on hand like this also helps me to eat better during the week.
Veggies – to eat or not to eat? That is generally the question so many people ask and it’s not just children, adults often don’t want to eat their veggies either. I know I didn’t love vegetables as a kid and have only really started liking them in the last few years. I’ve found that I will eat a lot of vegetables if I fancy them up a bit.
There is much debate about the proper way to cook spaghetti squash. I like to cook mine face up on a baking sheet. Others prefer to bake their spaghetti squash face down in a roasting pan. Either works. The most important things are to season the spaghetti squash well before cooking and to make sure you cook it till it’s fork tender. Spaghetti squash will be more on the crunchy side, but you should easily be able to pull the squash from the sides with a fork.
My family loved this dish. They felt it was a great combination to add the sauce and cheese to the spaghetti squash. I loved the red pepper flakes, gave the dish I nice bit of heat. If you aren’t wanting any heat you can skip that part and just use the olive oil, salt and pepper.
What are your favorite healthy recipes? Please share with me!
- 1 medium spaghetti squash
- 2 cups spaghetti sauce
- mozzarella cheese
- Parmesan Cheese
- Olive oil
- salt, pepper and red pepper flakes
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Cut the spaghetti squash in half by cutting it lengthwise from stem to tail. Take a spoon and scrape out all the seeds and loose string. Place each half of the squash on a baking sheet cut side up. Drizzle with a bit of olive oil, sprinkle with some salt, pepper and red pepper flakes.
- Place in the oven and cook 45-60. You will know when the squash is done when it's fork tender and you can easily pull the squash from the sides.
- In a medium-sized sauce pan heat up the spaghetti sauce.
- When the squash is done and the sauce is warm ladle however much sauce you want into each spaghetti squash half. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese and Parmesan cheese.
- Place the squash back in the oven and bake until the cheese is melted.