Wilted Lettuce Salad has two kinds of lettuce, green onions, eggs and bacon with a warm bacon-flavored dressing.
This week’s theme for Sunday Supper is all about Winter Salads and I knew I had to make my mom’s Wilted Lettuce salad. It’s similar to spinach salad, but it doesn’t use any spinach. It uses two kinds of lettuce, romaine and red leaf.
It’s hard for me to get on board with eating a cold salad when it’s freezing outside, but a salad with a nice warm bacon dressing gets me excited to eat a salad. Never mind the calories!
The best tip I can give you for making this salad or any salad is using a salad spinner. This has a lot of lettuce to clean and dry especially if you are doing it by hand(like someone I know). Seriously, a salad spinner is now on my list of kitchen gadgets to buy.
Second tip, use a big bowl for this salad. This is a lot of lettuce! But, don’t worry it will wilt down once you pour the dressing over it. Start with a big bowl and then when ready to serve you can move it to a pretty serving bowl.
This salad is perfect as a main dish or a side salad. Kids will love it because it has bacon! Can’t go wrong with that. Check out the list below for more salad recipes from my fellow #SundaySupper friends.
- 2 heads of lettuce, torn into pieces. I used romaine and red leaf
- 5 slices of bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 2 hard-boiled eggs, chopped
- 2 tbsp. green onions, sliced
- 1 tbsp. sugar
- ¼ tsp. pepper
- 2 tbsp. cold water
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- Wash and dry the lettuce. Once it's dry, tear the lettuce into pieces and place in a large bowl.
- Cook the bacon, reserve the drippings from the bacon. Once the bacon is cool, crumble it and set aside.
- In a small bowl combine the sugar, pepper, cold water, salt and vinegar. Mix well.
- Add the dressing mixture to a sauce pan with the bacon drippings and heat to just boiling.
- Pour over the lettuce and toss.
- Sprinkle the bacon, eggs and green onions over the dressed salad and toss.
- Serve immediately.
Please follow me on Pinterest | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter
#SundaySupper Winter Salads
- Amish Ham Salad from Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Arugula, Butternut & White Bean Salad with Maple Vinaigrette from Pook’s Pantry
- Arugula Salad with Maple Vinaigrette from Cooking Chat
- Beet Terrine from Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Blood Orange and Salmon Salad with Blood Orange Vinaigrette from La Bella Vita Cucina
- Blood Orange, Beet, and Apple Salad with Goat Cheese and Citrus Honey Vinaigrette from Renee’s Kitchen Adventures
- Blue Cheese and Pear Salad from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Breakfast Salad from Our Good Life
- Brussels Sprouts Salad with White Bean Dressing and Pecan Crisps from Beauty and the Beets
- Chill Chasing Matchstick Vegetable Pasta Salad from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Chopped Salad with Roasted Root Vegetables and Bacon from MyGourmetConnection
- Citrus Salad from A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Cobb Salad from Palatable Pastime
- Colorful Veggie Filled Quinoa with a Ginger-Lemon Dressing from Positively Stacy
- Crunchy Beet & Arugula Salad from The Crumby Cupcake
- Escarole and Roasted Broccoli Salad with Anchovy Dressing from The Texan New Yorker
- Farro Salad with Roasted Squash, Radicchio and Lemon-Tahini Dressing from Caroline’s Cooking
- Grilled Chicken Salad from Real Food Real Deals
- Hot German Hot Noodle Salad from Seduction in the Kitchen
- Kale Salad with Lemony Tahini Dressing from My Life Cookbook
- Lemony Couscous Lentil Salad from Magnolia Days
- Low-Carb Spinach Breakfast Salad from Life Tastes Good
- Mandarin Tossed Salad from Meal Planning Magic
- Orange and Walnut Baby Spinach Salad w/ Quinoa and Citrus Vinaigrette from The Freshman Cook
- Quinoa Salad with Apples, Pecans and Dried Cranberries from The Chef Next Door
- Radicchio Pear Walnut Salad from The Bitter Side of Sweet
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts and Butternut Squash Salad with Hot Bacon Dressing from Cupcakes and Kale Chips
- Roasted Butternut Squash Pearl Couscous Salad from Mysavoryspoon
- Roasted Savoy Cabbage Slaw with Spicy Bacon Dressing from Food Lust People Love
- Roasted Squash and Cabbage Salad with Crispy Chick Peas from Monica’s Table
- Shredded Beet Salad from Wholistic Woman
- Simple Arugula, Fennel and Leek Salad with Citrus from Simply Healthy Family
- Simple Spinach Cobb Salad With Lardons from And She Cooks
- Spinach Citrus Salad with Grapefruit Vinaigrette from From Gate to Plate
- Warm Balsamic Steak Salad with Honey Mustard Dressing from Momma’s Meals
- Warm Cabbage Salad with Bacon and Goat Cheese from Nik Snacks
- Warm Cauliflower Spinach Salad with Pancetta from Taste and See
- Warm Potato and Broccoli Buffalo Salad from Sweet Mornings
- Warm Potato Salad with Arugula, Bacon and Brown Butter from Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Warm Steak Tomato and Mozzarella Salad from Family Foodie
- Wilted Lettuce Salad from Confessions of a Cooking Diva
- Winter BLT Panzanella Salad from Hardly a Goddess
- Winter Citrus and Endive Salad from An Appealing Plan
- Winter Fruit Salad from Pies and Plots
- Winter Kale and Wild Rice Salad from Moore or Less Cooking
- Winter Salad with Blood Orange Vinaigrette from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Winter Salad with Fennel, Apple, Goat Cheese and Radishes from Delaware Girl Eats
- Winter Squash Quinoa Salad from Kitchen Gidget
Roasted Brussels Sprouts and Wild Rice Salad plus more Winter Salad Recipes #SundaySupper from Sunday Supper Movement
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.