Ham and scalloped potato casserole is a must make dish for dinner. I love it because A. it has potatoes in it and B. Mixing cream and two kinds of cheese with the ham makes for a delectable treat for the taste buds.
This is a more time intensive dish, but well worth the effort. Your family will love this for Sunday dinner!
To begin, you need to peel and slice the potatoes and boil them in a large pot of salted water for 5 minutes. You want them to be almost, but not yet tender. Once they are ready to go you will drain them and then lay them on the bottom of a 9×13 casserole pan.
On top of the potatoes you will add the diced onion, diced ham* and sprinkle with just a touch of flour. Next, you’ll pour the cream mixture over the potato and ham mixture, top with cheddar cheese and bake for 40 minutes.
*For this recipe I like to use a precooked ham steak. I bought a package of two and used one in this casserole. The other one I put in the freezer for another day.
- 4 cups peeled, thinly-sliced potatoes
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 1 cup cooked ham cubes
- 4 tbsp. flour
- 1 cup milk
- ½ cup sour cream
- 4 tbsp. butter, melted
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. pepper
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and add your sliced potatoes. Boil for 5 minutes until almost, but not yet tender. Drain.
- Layer the potatoes on the bottom of a 9x13 casserole pan.
- Sprinkle the onion, ham and flour over the top.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, whisk together the milk, sour cream, melted butter, salt, pepper and pour over the potato and ham mixture.
- Top with the cheddar cheese.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until bubbly.