Is it Fall yet? I love Fall, it’s my favorite season. By the middle of August I have the itch to decorate my house with pumpkins and anything that has Fall colors in it. So far I’ve resisted decorating, but I haven’t resisted cooking up our favorite comfort foods. This casserole being one of them.
Hands down this has to be my husbands favorite casserole ever! My husband will eat anything that has poppy seeds in it. He loves them. I, on the other hand, do not love poppy seeds. BUT…I love them in this dish. This dish is so rich and creamy, the poppy seeds add a great crunch.
I used a rotisserie chicken to make life much easier. I love, love, love having a rotisserie chicken in my refrigerator. You can do so much with it – casseroles, soups, nachos, or just eat it as is. So many options! You can put together this poppy seed chicken and rice casserole in under 10 minutes and then bake. Perfect for busy weeknights.
- 2 cups rotisserie chicken, shredded
- ¾ cup uncooked white rice
- 1 cup water
- 1 can of cream of chicken soup
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp. minced garlic
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice
- 2 cups Ritz crackers, crushed
- 1 tbsp. poppy seeds
- ½ cup butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray a 9x13 casserole dish with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, add the chicken, rice, water, sour cream and soup. Mix well.
- Mix in the Worcestershire sauce, garlic and lemon juice.
- In a small bowl, add the Ritz crackers, poppy seeds and butter. Mix until the crackers and poppy seeds are well incorporated with the butter.
- Layer the chicken mixture on the bottom of the casserole pan. Top with the cracker mixture.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
Recipe adapted from Six Sisters