Have you ever made a dish that was so good that you made it multiple times over the next month?
Good, because I did that exact thing with this dish. We love this dish so much. It’s easy to put together and the Italian sausage adds a ton of flavor to this.
We love Italian sausage. One of my freezer staples is Hot and Mild Italian Sausage. We buy a package at our local store and then vacuum pack each one and store them in the freezer. This way we can pull out however much we need for a dish.
There are a few ways we like to eat Italian sausage – in scrambled eggs, spaghetti sauce and in this baked ziti.
This pasta dish is cheesy, saucy (is that even a word?) and slightly spicy. Perfect for any night of the week. You can also make this with ground turkey, ground beef or mild Italian sausage. You could even make it meatless and it would still be delicious.
- 2 Italian Sausage (Hot or Mild), take them out of the casing.
- 2 cups penne pasta, cooked
- 1 jar of spaghetti sauce
- ⅓ cup parmesan cheese, divided
- 1½ cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
- ½ an onion, chopped.
- Take the Italian sausage out of the casing and cook in a skillet over medium heat until thoroughly cooked and no longer pink.
- Cook your penne pasta according to pasta directions, drain.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a 9x13 inch casserole dish.
- In a large bowl, add the penne pasta, sausage, spaghetti sauce, half the parmesan cheese, the onion and mozzarella cheese.
- Mix well and pour into the casserole dish. Sprinkle with the remaining parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 20 - 25 minutes. The cheese should be melted and bubbly.