I recently joined a blog group called Secret Recipe Club. It’s a group where each month you are given another members blog and you are to pick a recipe from their blog, and then make it and blog about it. And you can’t tell the other blog what recipe you are doing.
For this month, I was give the blog, Curious Cuisiniere. Oh, what a wonderful blog! There are a ton of great recipes. Sarah and her husband are the owners of the blog where they chronicle their food-adventures. If you are looking for a great new recipe to try then I would recommend heading on over there and checking them out.
I was having a really hard time deciding what to make until I stumbled onto this recipe of Cheddar Merlot Burgers. I knew as soon as I saw these that they would be a hit in our home. My fiancé loves burgers, wine and cheese. I knew that adding all these into one dish would be fantastic and I was right.
These burgers taste just like having a glass of merlot, but isn’t overpowering. The smell is fantastic! It’s one of those dishes where you want to stick your nose in the food because it’s so heavenly. The sweet onion is a really nice addition and I think I need to use this type of onion more often in dishes. These have so much flavor that you don’t even need to add any condiments to the burger, unless you want to.
We love these so much that we’ve made them twice in the last three weeks. I’m pretty sure these will always been in our rotation of favorite dishes.
- 1 lb ground beef
- ¾ cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- ¼ cup sweet onion, minced
- ¼ c + 2 Tbsp Merlot wine, divided
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- Prepare and preheat your grill to medium heat.
- In a large bowl, mix together the beef, shredded cheese, minced sweet onion, the ¼ cup merlot wine and salt and pepper.
- Form into 4 patties. Don't make them too thick or they will take too long to cook on the grill. Resulting in a dry burger.
- Place burgers on the grill and allow to cook for 4 to 5 minutes.
- Before flipping, brush the top of each patty with some of the merlot wine (total of 2 tbsp.)
- Flip and then allow to cook for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Remove from grill and allow to sit for a minute.