These baked chicken taquitos are a must to put on your menu list when you need something quick and easy. They took me less than 30 minutes(after baking the chicken, see below) to put together and were a huge hit.
To make this a quick dish you need to use pre-cooked chicken in the taquitos. You can do this one of two ways. One, is to use a rotisserie chicken which is a great option. I love using rotisserie chickens in dishes. Second, is to thaw and bake a few pieces of chicken. This is what I did. I took 4 pieces of chicken tenders from my freezer, thawed them and baked them for 30 minutes at 350 degrees. I allowed them to cool and then shredded them. I did this earlier in the day so at dinnertime all I had to do was put the taquitos together.
You can use any kind of salsa in this dish. I used Corn, Black Bean and Roasted Pepper Salsa that I had in the fridge. I got this salsa from Target and we love it.
These baked chicken taquitos are creamy and are full of flavor with the combination of the salsa and a little bit of cumin. These aren’t spicy at all.
This recipe would be a great one to make with your kids. They could help you mix the mixture and help to roll them up.
- 2½ cups cooked chicken, shredded
- 1 cup Cheddar cheese, shredded
- ½ cup salsa of your choice. I prefer using a salsa that has beans and corn in it.
- ½ cup sour cream
- ½ tsp. ground cumin
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper
- pinch of salt
- Cilantro, to taste
- 8 (8 inch) flour tortillas
- cooking spray
- sour cream for garnish
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, add the shredded chicken, cheese, salsa, sour cream, cumin, salt and pepper and a bit of cilantro. Mix together.
- Place a couple of dollops of the chicken mixture onto the center of each tortilla. With the back of a spoon spread the mixture out down the length of the tortilla.
- Roll up the tortilla.
- Place on the tortilla seam side down on a baking sheet.
- Spray the rolled tortilla's with cooking spray.
- Bake for 6 to 10 minutes. You want them to be slightly brown and the cheese melted.
- Serve with more salsa and sour cream.