A couple of month’s ago, I was part of a Food Bloggers Challenge for ABCFamily and one of the challenges was to make cupcakes. I found a great Lemon Coconut Torte recipe in an old Lion House cookbook and thought it would make great cupcakes. I love anything with lemon.
The problem with cupcakes, and why I don’t make them very often, is that you can’t just eat one. It’s like potato chips, one just doesn’t cut it. I had to send these to my guy’s work so I wouldn’t eat them all. Why do they have to be so cute, delicious and fattening?! Not fair…
These are really simple to make. All you need is a boxed cake mix, lemon curd, frozen whipped topping and some coconut. Easy peasy.
To get the lemon curd into the middle of the cupcakes you can do it two ways: One, is to take a pastry bag and pipe it into the middle of the cupcake from the bottom of the cupcake. Two, is to cut the cupcakes horizontally across the middle, drop in a bit of lemon curd into the middle of the cupcake, press the cupcake together and frost. This is how the Lion House cookbook suggested, so I tried it. Turned out ok. I think next time I will use a pastry bag and pipe it in.
If you want you can toast the coconut before placing on the cupcakes. I tried this and it turned into a disaster (if you follow me on Instagram you would have seen that disaster) so I ended up skipping it. If you have an advice for toasting coconut please share!
I hope you try these!
- 1 boxed white cake mix
- 1 jar lemon curd
- 1 container of frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 1 bag shredded coconut
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line muffin tins with cupcake liners.
- Prepare cake mix according to package directions.
- Fill each cupcake liner with the cake batter. They should be filled half-way to the top.
- Bake for 18 to 24 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Cool cupcakes. Remove cupcake from the liner.
- To fill the way I did, cut each cupcake in half horizontally. Add the lemon curd in the middle. Replace the top of the cupcake and frost with the whipped topping.
- Sprinkle with coconut, to taste.