A light and refreshing salad. Perfect for summer.
The last couple of weeks have been really hot here and I refuse to turn my oven on. I decided it would be great to have a few go-to dishes that don’t require the oven or the stove. The first one is this delicious watermelon and arugula salad. What could be better than eating watermelon on a hot summer day?
My fiance made this dish for me last year and I loved it. I couldn’t wait till watermelons were in season so we could have it again. Who doesn’t love a juicy watermelon? Add feta and arugula to it and it’s spectacular.
The secret to this dish is the balsamic vinegar, it brings out the sweetness in the watermelon and melds with the feta like peanut butter and chocolate.
A note about the arugula, be sure you dress the arugula. Arugula has a very strong taste to it and if you don’t dress it it will be very bitter. To dress arugula just toss it with some olive oil and salt and pepper. That’s it. The olive oil helps to tone down the bitterness and give it a more mild flavor.
What are your favorite no-cook dishes for summer? Are you all about the salads? We don’t eat a lot of salads, but I have a feeling this one will be eaten a lot in this house. This salad is perfect as a side-dish or main dish. You can easily double it for a crowd. Stay tuned this week for more no-cook dishes.
- 4 oz. Arugula
- 2 tablespoons Olive Oil
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- 4 cups Watermelon, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 6 to 8 oz. Feta cheese(depending on how much cheese you like), cut into tiny cubes
- 2 tablespoons Balsamic Vinegar
- In a large bowl, toss the arugula with the olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Add the watermelon cubes.
- Add the feta cheese and toss the salad.
- Drizzle the balsamic vinegar over the salad and toss.
- Serve immediately.