Bruschetta, bruschetta, bruschetta, I love thee. Seriously, it is the best appetizer, in my book. If it’s listed as an appetizer on a restaurant menu then you can bet that I will order it. The great thing is that it’s super easy to make at home.
For the next week, I am going to showcase different dishes you can make for your sweetheart for Valentine’s Day. I have one appetizer, one main protein, a side dish, one dessert and one drink to share with you.
Valentine’s Day is the perfect time to have a fancy, but not complicated dinner at home. It’s a great way to show your loved one how much they mean to you. So, send the kids to bed early and put together these quick and delicious foods for your loved one.
Bruschetta only takes a few ingredients, some chopping and your favorite hard bread to serve it on. My favorite bread is the pre-cut crostini’s you can find in the bakery section of your grocery store. Makes life much easier.
I like to toast the bread in some butter in a skillet and serve the bruschetta on top of that, but you certainly don’t have to do that.
To toast the bread, I take a pat of butter and put it in a pre-heated skillet (medium heat) and allow to melt. Place slices of bread into the butter and let the bread soak up the butter and get a light golden brown. Do this for each side of the bread. Serve the bruschetta on top.
Do you have a favorite appetizer?
- 4 large tomatoes, diced
- 6 sprigs of fresh basil, finely chopped
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- ⅛ cup olive oil
- 1 to ½ tsp garlic, minced
- pinch of salt and pepper
- baguette, crostini or any other type of hard bread
- butter to cook the bread in (optional)
- Chop your tomatoes and basil and add to a bowl.
- Add the vinegar, olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper to the bowl. Mix well.
- Top on top of the bread of your choice.
- See above for instructions on toasting your bread.