Eating beef in this house is a once in a week experience. If you have cardiac issues it’s recommended to only eat red meat once a week. We love these skinny beef tostadas that I found in the American Heart Association cookbook. They are so tasty and not as fattening as some beef dishes.
What makes these skinny is the following:
- Corn tortillas are better than flour
- Using extra-lean beef which is generally 90% lean with just 10% fat
- Use fat-free sour cream
- Choose low-fat cheddar cheese
Nobody will even notice the lack of fat in this dish because of the flavorable spices that are added to the meat mixture.
- 6 6-inch corn tortillas
- cooking spray
- 1 lb. extra-lean ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1½ to 2 tsp chili powder
- ½ tsp cumin
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp garlic, minced
- ¼ tsp salt
- Shredded lettuce
- 1 tomato, chopped
- low-fat sour cream
- low-fat cheddar cheese
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
- Place corn tortillas on a baking sheet and lightly spray them with cooking spray.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes.
- In a large skillet, cook the beef and the onion, until the beef is no longer pink.
- Stir in the chili powder, cumin, oregano, garlic and salt. Mix well.
- Spread the meat mixture over the tortillas and top with the remaining ingredients.