The other night I was trying to come up with a good side dish for the salmon we had made for dinner and in the freezer I had frozen corn and lima beans and thought about succotash.
My mom made succotash growing up and I loved it with vinegar on it. I wanted to elevate it a bit and was reminded of a dish from the Picky Palate. She makes a garlic corn that is just delicious, you can find the recipe in her cookbook.
I decided to change it up a bit and we loved it and it just took a few minutes to make this side dish. Have you ever noticed that vegetables are hard to photograph? They just aren’t very cooperative.
By the way, if you haven’t bought Picky Palate’s cookbook, you must. We’ve made several dishes from it and just love it. This isn’t a sponsored post I just happen to like the cookbook.
- 2 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 to 3 cloves of minced garlic, depending on how much garlic you like
- ¼ cup finely minced red onion
- 1 cup frozen or fresh corn
- 1 cup frozen lima beans
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a medium saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the garlic and onions and cook for 1 to 2 minutes. Lower the heat if the garlic gets too hot.
- Add the corn and lima beans and cook for 3 to 5 minutes. Stir often.
- Salt and pepper to taste, stir and serve.