It’s been a cold and blistery week here in Utah. Looks like winter might be arriving…until next week.
Gotta love the unpredictable weather!
Since it was cold out I decided that soup was a good dinner choice. For some reason I have made very few soups in my life. I always think they look too complicated. Not this one, it was super easy to put together.
I got this recipe from Our Best Bites new cookbook. I’ve adapted it slightly to fit our needs.
This is a must make recipe. It’s spicy, cheesy and very filling. I served it with some garlic breadsticks.
- 3 to 4 Hot Italian sausage links, decased
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes (not drained)
- 1 (8 oz) can tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup apple cider
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 (15 oz) cans chicken broth
- 2 carrot stalks, peeled and chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- pinch of pepper
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley
- 1 package (10 oz) package of cheese tortellini
- Take the Italian sausage out of its casings and add it to a large pot and begin cooking it on medium heat. Cook until the sausage is no longer pink.
- Add your chopped onions and minced garlic. Cook until onions are translucent.
- Add tomatoes, tomato sauce, apple cider, water, chicken broth, carrots and the spices. Simmer for 30 minutes to an hour.
- Add the pasta and cook for 10 minutes.
Super easy and so delicious.