I love fried chicken, don’t you? But we all know it’s not healthy to have it very often. This healthy oven-baked “fried” chicken is a healthy version of fried chicken. I wonder how many times I can write fried chicken in one sentence?!
For the chicken drumsticks you can remove the skin or leave it on. It will make it healthier to take off. I like the skin so I left it on. The chicken starts with being marinated in buttermilk and some spices. I like a bit of spice to my dishes so I used smoked paprika. If you aren’t a fan of spice then just use regular paprika. The smell of this is phenomenal. After about 6 hours then we coat the chicken with more spices and a combination of panko and corn flakes. To help give the chicken its crispiness spray the coated chicken with cooking spray before putting it in the oven. Bake for around 40-45 minutes and you’ve got yourself a healthy version of fried chicken.
- 8 chicken drumsticks, skinned or non-skinned
- Marinade -
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika (can use regular paprika)
- 1/2 tsp poultry seasoning
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 1 cup buttermilk
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- Coating -
- 2/3 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup crushed cornflakes
- 2 tbsp. grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp dried parsley flakes
- 1 1/2 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp. onion powder
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp. chili powder
- In a medium-sized bowl, season the chicken with the spices. Pour the buttermilk and lemon juice over the chicken and allow to marinate for at least 6 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil and place a rack on it. Spray with cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, combine the spices and the panko and crushed cornflakes. Remove the chicken from the buttermilk and dredge in the dry ingredients. Place the chicken on the baking sheet. Spray the chicken drumsticks with cooking spray.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
Adapted from the SkinnyTaste Cookbook