My mom has been making these stuffed peppers for a very long time. Maybe even for the length of my life(which is a really long time! 🙂 ). As a kid I hated peppers so she would fix me a bowl of the rice and meat mixture. Now I love peppers and these are always a hit.
This is not a quick recipe, but it’s not complicated to make. There are several steps to this recipe, but I promise if you follow my directions you will have no issues. You can use any kind of ground meat you would like. I like to use ground turkey or beef. It would also be good with ground chicken or lamb. Or skip the meat altogether and make it a vegetarian dish.
To Make –
- I like to get my rice cooking while I gather all my ingredients and dishes.
- Place a pot of water on to boil.
- Now begin cooking your meat and the onion. Cook until the onions are soft and the meat is no longer pink.
- By now your rice should be done so add it to the meat/onion mixture. Follow that with the tomato soup, salt, pepper and sugar. Sprinkle with flour and mix well.
- Allow the mixture to simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Wash your pepper and cut the tops of and remove the seeds. Once your water is boiling add the peppers and boil for 2 minutes. Once they are done pull them out of the water (with tongs!) and place upside down on a paper towel. This allows the water to drain out of the peppers and allows them to cool down a bit.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Once the peppers are cool enough to touch then take a spoon and fill each pepper to the top with the meat mixture.
- Place in a 9×13 pan and bake for 30 minutes. About 5 minutes before the end of the cooking time, top with grated cheese.
Now wasn’t that easy? Even though there are several steps to making this dish it’s not complicated. Your family will love this traditional comfort food dish.
- 1 lb. ground beef or any other meat of your choice
- ½ an onion, chopped
- 1 cup cooked rice
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 1¾ cup tomato soup
- ⅛ tsp. pepper
- 1½ tsp. salt
- 2 tbsp. flour
- 6 green peppers
- cheddar cheese, shredded
- Cook the rice and then set aside. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Brown the ground beef and onion until the meat is no longer pink and the onion is soft.
- Add the soup, rice, salt, pepper and sugar. Sprinkle the flour over the top and mix. Bring to a boil and then simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Wash the green peppers, cut off the tops and remove the seeds. Drop into boiling water and boil for 2 minutes. Using tongs, remove the peppers from the water and place upside down on paper towels. Allow peppers to drain and cool down a bit.
- Once the peppers are cool enough to touch fill them with the meat mixture and place in a 9x13 pan. Bake for 30 minutes at 375 degrees. About 5 minutes before the end of the cooking time, top with grated cheese.