If you’ve been following me on social media then you know that my husband and I planted our first tomato and pepper plants this summer. The tomatoes took their sweet time to produce anything, but now we have a plethora of tomatoes. I can’t even keep up with them at this point. The peppers on the other hand…well…let’s just say we don’t have an abundance of those. At all.
I’ve been busy trying to come up with different ways to eat all these tomatoes and came up with this recipe while trying to figure out how to dress up the traditional caprese salad. Some of the best dishes come from just pulling things out of your pantry.
For this recipe you can use frozen or fresh corn. I used frozen because that was what I had. I didn’t have any basil leaves so I used dried basil and feel like it gives just enough basil flavor without overwhelming the other ingredients. I really wanted the corn and tomatoes to shine in this dish.
I never would have thought about using balsamic vinegar with corn, but it gives a nice tart note that compliments the sweetness of the corn. This was a huge hit in my home and I hope your family loves it too.
- 2 cups corn, cooked and drained
- 1 cup tomatoes, roughly diced
- ½ cup mozzarella balls or 6 oz. mozzarella, diced
- Basil, salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- Cook the corn according to how you like to prepare it. if using frozen corn then cook according to package instructions. If using fresh corn then boil for just 2 to 3 minutes.
- In a bowl, add the corn, diced tomatoes, mozzarella and mix. Season with basil, salt and pepper to your liking.
- Add the balsamic vinegar and olive oil and mix.
- Serve immediately.