Lasagna…a great combination of pasta, sauce and meat. No wonder it’s Garfield’s favorite food. It’s the epitome of comfort food. You can never go wrong with making lasagna for someone you love. In fact, if you do they will just love you even more. It’s that good.
This is definitely not a weeknight dinner unless you have that kind of time, but I don’t so I save it for the weekends. Which is perfect because then you have lots of leftovers for lunch.
Who doesn’t love leftovers for lunch?! I do!
Let’s talk for a minute about lasagna noodles. I’m all for the no-boil lasagna noodles, but they really don’t work well for a three-layer lasagna. I didn’t find the top noodle getting enough moisture to cook. You’ll have much better success with the noodles that you boil.
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 small onion, chopped
- ⅛ tsp. garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp. basil
- 1 tbsp. parsley flakes
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 16 oz. can whole tomatoes
- 2 6 oz. cans tomato paste
- 3 cups cottage cheese
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. pepper
- 2 tbsp. parsley flakes
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese
- 1 lbs. mozzarella cheese, sliced
- 9 lasagna noodles
- Brown the meat with the onion. Drain the fat. Add the remaining sauce ingredients. Bring to a boil and then allow to simmer for 45 minutes.
- While the sauce is cooking prepare your filling by combining all the ingredients into a small bowl.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Cook the lasagna noodles in salted water according to package directions.
- To layer the lasagna:
- In a 9x13 pan place 1 layer of noodles(3) on the bottom. Top with ½ of the filling mixture and ½ of the sliced mozzarella. Top with ½ of the meat sauce.
- Repeat with the second layer.
- For the top layer add the 3 noodles and top with remaining sauce.
- Bake for 30 minutes.