It’s that time again, secret recipe reveal day for the Secret Recipe Club. Each month a group of us bloggers get assigned a food blog where we pick out a recipe, make it, photograph it and then share it with our readers. I’m really enjoying being apart of this group. It is a lot of fun to discover new food bloggers and try out their recipes. I hope you are enjoying this as much as I am.
This month I had the opportunity to explore the site, Shockingly Delicious, and the name fits this blog perfectly. There were so many recipes I wanted to try like these 2-Ingredient Slow Cooker Rustic Mashed Potatoes with Garlic and Herbs or these BBQ Country-Style Pork Ribs in the Slow Cooker. I mean really….they all look so good.
In the end, I chose these caramelized onion-apple meatballs because who can resist combining beef, apples and onions into a cute little meatball? I couldn’t! She bills them as an easy weeknight dinner and I agree if you do what she suggests and caramelize the onions and apples either earlier in the day or even the day before. I didn’t do this and it did take about 20 minutes to make, but overall I had these done in under an hour. Definitely something you can make on a quiet weekday evening.
The smell of the onions and apples caramelizing was so delicious. Nothing beats the smell of caramelizing onions. Once the apples and onions are caramelized, you let them cool, chop them up and throw them in a mixer with the rest of the ingredients, mix for 30 seconds and bam, you have a great meatball mixture. All that’s left is to mold into meatballs and bake for 20 minutes. I had never used my mixer for mixing meatballs before and I loved it! She has such great tips on her blog!
I altered this recipe just a tad based on what I had on hand. I used dry herbs and dried bread crumbs and water. I hope you give these delicious meatballs a try, you won’t regret it. I promise.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely sliced
- 2 large apples, cored, peeled and finely chopped. I used Golden Delicious
- 1 lb. ground beef
- A few squirts hot sauce. I used Tabasco sauce.
- 2-3 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ tbsp. dried basil
- 1 tbsp. dried parsley
- 2 tbsp. dried bread crumbs.
- 2 tbsp. water
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Sauté onions, for about 10 minutes. Stir often so they don't get to brown on one side.
- Add apples and continue cooking for another 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and cool.
- Preheat oven to 375F degrees.
- Chop the apple-onion mixture very finely. You should have about 1 cup.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, add apple-onion mixture, ground beef and all other ingredients
- Mix on low until well combined, about 15-30 seconds.
- Spray a short-sided baking sheet with non-stick spray. Shape the meat into 20 meatballs.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until no longer pink in the middle.