Since it’s Friday and cold in most places, I thought I would bring you a delicious beverage to warm you up. I love hot chocolate and have fond memories of it. As a teenager I was very active in my church youth group. Every December we would go Christmas caroling to the homes of the elderly and the local nursing home. It was always so fun and they all seemed happy to see our young faces and listen to us sing (even if some of us were out of tune…like me). Afterwards we would go to one of the leaders home and have hot chocolate and treats. I absolutely loved doing that every year and whenever I have hot chocolate it brings me back to that time.
I decided to amp this drink up and add rum to it, but it’s perfectly delicious without the alcohol. Kids will love this drink because it is very decadent.
Next time you have a date night with your spouse or want to make your kids something special break out this delicious drink. It’s super quick.
- 2 cups milk
- 3½ ounces of dark chocolate chips
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 tsp honey
- 1 tsp light brown sugar
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp. Rum
- Whip cream
- In a medium saucepan add the milk and the chocolate chips.
- Next, add the cinnamon stick, honey, brown sugar and heat gently until the chocolate melts.
- Add the vanilla extract and whisk well.
- Add 1 tbsp. of rum, stir and then taste. Add the second tablespoon of rum if you want a stronger taste.
- Take the cinnamon stick out and pour into two mugs.
- Garnish with lots of whip cream.