I have only one word to sum up these jalapeno mac-n-cheese bites…Yum! Seriously, yum. I made these for dinner and we ate half of them. They were so good. They were even yummy for lunch the next day.
These bites are for my Secret Recipe Club post. As a refresher this is a monthly club I belong to where I get assigned a blog, I pick out a recipe to make and then I post it. The trick is to not tell anyone what I pick until reveal today.
Here is my reveal. This month I was assigned the blog, The Wimpy Vegetarian. At first I was really worried, because we are big meat eaters and not much on the veggies. But, she has so many great looking recipes. It was hard to choose, but we couldn’t resist a mac-n-cheese recipe.
I did alter things a bit. I didn’t have a mini-muffin pan so I used a regular sized muffin pan. Two, actually. Also, I didn’t do the bread crumbs in browned butter. I just melted the butter in a sauce pan and added the bread crumbs. Still just as delicious. Also, I used smoked gouda cheese, cheddar cheese and the parmesan. Don’t be afraid of the jalapeno, it gives a great flavor without being spicy. I generally don’t like jalapeno’s, but this has changed my mind completely.
These are perfect for a party as an appetizer or serve them for dinner like I did. These will be a hit with your family.
- 2 cups uncooked small elbow macaroni
- 1 tbsp. salted butter
- 2 c sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 /2 cup smoked gouda, shredded
- ½ c Parmesan cheese, grated
- ½ cup milk
- ½ tsp. paprika
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- ½ tsp. onion powder
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 tbsp. chopped pickled jalapeño slices
- ½ c regular breadcrumbs
- 2 tbsp butter
- Preheat the oven to 350˚F and thoroughly grease a two muffin tins with cooking spray.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and add the macaroni. Cook until al dente, about 6 - 8 minutes. Drain and spill the cooked macaroni into a large bowl.
- In a small skillet, add the 2 tbsp. of butter and melt over medium high heat. Once the butter is melted add your breadcrumbs. Stir until slightly browned and well mixed.
- In the large bowl stir in the butter, all the cheeses EXCEPT ½ cup of the Cheddar cheese, milk, and all of the spices until the butter and cheeses melt. Stir in the egg and chopped jalapeño.
- Spoon into the prepared muffin tins almost to the top. Sprinkle about 1 teaspoon of cheddar cheese over each mixture and top with about 1 teaspoon of breadcrumbs.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until lightly browned. Allow to cool slightly then run a knife around the outside edges and remove the bites.