A sweet, moist blueberry cake with poppy seeds and a vanilla bean glaze.
This recipe was originally posted on Mom It Forward in April and thought that I should post it here too. This is a fantastic cake.
The first time I ever had coffee cake was in the 8th grade. I made it in home economics. I loved it and it was really easy to make, which was perfect since I had zero interest in cooking back then. This is that same coffee cake with some changes and additions and I turned it into more of a cake than a coffee cake.
Did you know that there is a wrong and right way to measure flour? I didn’t, apparently I missed that information in home economics. Explains why most of my baked goods do not turn out right. I have been doing it wrong for more years than I can count. I’ve always been the person who took the measuring cup, dipped it into the flour container and filled it up. I am so wrong. What you should do is take a large spoon and use that to fill your measuring cup with flour. Be sure not to pack the flour in the cup like you would brown sugar. By spooning it into the measuring cup you will get a more accurate measurement of flour and not too much.
I love how simple it is to whip up this cake and be able to serve it to your family or friends in just a short amount of time. All you need to do is dump all the ingredients minus the blueberries into a bowl and mix well. Then, fold in the blueberries and pour into a pan and bake 45 to 50 minutes. Let cool and then drizzle the vanilla bean glaze over the top.
The perfect quick and delicious afternoon sweet treat. Kids would love this as an afterschool snack.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup sugar
- ¼ cup shortening
- ¾ cup milk
- 1 egg
- 2 ½ tsp baking powder
- ¾ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp poppy seeds
- 2 cups fresh or frozen(thawed) blueberries
- Vanilla Bean Glaze Ingredients-
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- ¼ tsp vanilla bean paste
- 1 to 2 tbsp hot water
- Directions for cake –
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Great a circular springform pan with cooking spray or a 9 inch square pan.
- In a large bowl stir together all cake ingredients minus blueberries. Mix well. Fold in the blueberries. Pour batter into pan. Bake for 45 to 50 minutes or until done. Let cake cool completely before drizzling the glaze.
- Directions for glaze –
- Mix all the ingredients for the glaze together in a small bowl. Mix till desired drizzle. With a powdered sugar glaze you want to add only as much water as you want depending on desired thickness of the glaze. I like mine runny so I added all 2 tbsp of hot water. If you want a thicker glaze start out with less water and then mix until desired thickness.