As a kid I loved when my mom would cook chicken with shake and bake. I loved the taste and thought it was fun watching her shake the chicken in the bag with the mix.
Fast forward 20+ years…ahem…and I find that I like using shake n bake to cook for my family. My only problem is that I never seem to remember to keep it stocked in my pantry.
Case in point, a few weeks ago I was trying to come up with a way to jazz up some pork chops. Shake n Bake popped into my head, but I didn’t have the mix and didn’t want to go to the grocery store. So…I looked up a homemade version online and found a great recipe from The Black Peppercorn. I’ve changed it up quite a bit.
I was excited to have everything in my pantry and just took a few minutes together and was a great way to dress up the pork chops.
Do you have a favorite memory of your mom making a favorite dish? Share in the comments, I would love to hear.
- ½ cup Italian bread crumbs
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- ⅛ tsp paprika
- 1/16 tsp celery salt
- ⅛ cup vegetable oil
- 4 pork chops or chicken breasts
- In a medium-sized bowl mix all the dry ingredients.
- Add the vegetable oil to the dry mix and mix well.
- Either use your bowl to dip your chicken/pork chops in or place the mixture on a plate.
- Coat your chicken/pork chops with the mixture.
- After thoroughly coating your meat, place on a cookie sheet and bake according to what you are cooking. I like to cook chicken at 350 degrees and pork at 325 degrees. Make sure there is no pink in the middle.