Mom’s Apple Salad is a creamy salad with raisins and has a nice apple crunch with a slight taste of cinnamon. Reminds me of an apple pie.
This salad has been in the family for many years, it originally came from my maternal grandmother. My mom would make this salad on a hot summer afternoon and by evening it would be gone. We all loved this recipe.
Sadly, I hadn’t eaten this salad in over 20 years. Last month I had a craving for it and called my mom for the recipe. It was as good as I remembered and my fiancé loved it.
This salad is perfect for potlucks and summer picnics. It does contain mayonnaise so you want to keep it cold. This dish is not for the faint of heart, it is fattening, that’s what makes it so good. I did lighten it up by using light mayonnaise. Perfect for when you want a decadent treat for a party.
- 3 Red Delicious apples, peeled, cored and chopped
- ½ cup light mayonnaise
- ½ cup to 1 cup raisins, depending on your tastes
- Cinnamon to taste
- Peel, core and chop your apples. Place them in a medium sized bowl.
- Add your mayonnaise and mix well.
- Add the raisins and cinnamon and mix well.
- Chill for at least an hour and then serve.