This is one of those dishes that you need to make right now. I promise. It’s so freakin’ good. I would make this every single week if I could, but that’s probably not the healthiest thing to do. I don’t do diets, for me they don’t work, but I do believe in moderation in all things. I think it’s ok to have a few unhealthy dishes once in a while just not every day.
I did cut the fat in this a bit. I used fat-free cream cheese and used 1% milk instead of whole milk. This not only cut some of the fat, but cut some of the richness of the dish. You are left with the most creamy, tasty macaroni and cheese ever. Don’t let the green chiles scare you. They add great flavor without adding spice.
I love that this dish is made using one pot. There is nothing better than have less dishes to wash after making dinner. Am I right?!
I hope you give this dish a try and if you let me know what you think.
- 1 lb. Elbow macaroni
- 3 Tbsp. butter
- 1 7 - oz can green chiles, drained
- 1 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 2½ cups 1% milk
- 8 oz. low-fat or non-fat cream cheese
- 1 lb. shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Fill a large pot with water and heat to boiling. Be sure to salt your water. Cook the pasta according to package directions.
- Drain and set aside.
- Using the same large pot, add the butter and the drained green chiles, saute over medium-high heat until the butter is melted and the green chiles are warmed.
- Add the flour and whisk in. Next add the milk and continue whisking.
- Allow the mixture to come to a simmer and add the cream cheese. Stir until melted.
- Stirring continuously, add the shredded cheddar cheese to the pot.
- Once the cheese sauce is smooth and creamy, add in the macaroni and turn the heat off. Stir well.
- Stir in salt and pepper to taste.