A couple of weeks ago I was at a blogging conference called Build your Blog Conference which is put on by the Six Sisters. It’s a great conference, it was my second time attending. They are the cutest family ever and super successful.
While at the conference I had the opportunity to purchase their newest cookbook, A Year with Six Sisters’ Stuff: 52 Menu Plans, Recipes, and Ideas to Bring Families Together. It’s available near the end of March. It’s one of those must buy cookbooks!
In the cookbook, they have a spaghetti dish that they made in the crockpot including the spaghetti. Genius idea. But, it got me thinking that I really wished I had a good spaghetti sauce that could be made in the crockpot. We all know how much I’m learning to love my crockpot.
I thought back to the spaghetti recipe that my mom made when I was young and decided that it might be good in the crockpot. I’ve changed it a bit. I didn’t have any ground beef in the house, but did have some Italian sausage links. I wanted to add some heat so I added the red pepper flakes. If you have children who don’t like spice, you can leave it out and it will still be delicious. If you want extra heat, pick Hot Italian sausage, I used mild because I like it better. I like some heat, but not a lot.
This easy, flavor packed spaghetti sauce is fairly quick to put together. Take the sausage out of it’s casings and brown it in a skillet, once it’s done just put it in the crockpot, add the other ingredients and cook on high for 3 hours. That’s it. Super easy and really, really good.
- 3 mild Italian sausage links, decased and cooked
- ½ small onion, chopped
- 3 tsp garlic, minced
- 2 15-oz cans tomato sauce
- 1 4.5-oz can mushrooms, undrained
- a pinch to ⅛ tsp of dried red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp dried basil
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- ¼ tsp each of salt and pepper
- ½ tsp dried parsley flakes
- 1 lb.spaghetti
- Decase the Italian sausage and cook in a skillet over medium heat until no longer pink. Drain the fat and place the Italian sausage in the crockpot.
- Add the remaining ingredients into the crockpot, stir.
- Cook on high for 3 hours.
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- Serve sauce over pasta.