A great roast chicken is one of those dishes that every cook should have in their repertoire. To the beginning cook the roast chicken looks ominous, but really it’s not and nothing shows love like this chicken. It’s super easy to put together and so yummy that your loved one will think you put hours into it. I can’t even explain how wonderful your house will smell while this is cooking. A great way to greet your love when they walk in the door.
All you need to create this perfect roast chicken is 5 ingredients plus some salt and pepper. You need a roast chicken about 4-5 lbs, 1 lemon, some salt and pepper, a stick of butter, garlic powder and dried rosemary. Most of you probably already have in your pantry.
Roasting a Chicken-
*Be sure you take out the innards of the chicken before cooking. You can also truss this chicken if you want, I did not do it for this recipe.
There are two main methods to roasting a chicken, traditional roasting method or a slow-roasting method. I chose to do the slow-roasting method and it was fabulous. Takes longer, but it turned our very tender and not dry.
Traditional method involves roasting the chicken at 350 degrees for 20 minutes per pound, plus an additional 20 minutes. Be sure to check chicken for doneness, internal temperature should be at least 165 degrees.
Slow-roasted method involves setting the oven for a temperature of 275 and roasting the bird for 3 1/2 to 4 hours. Mine took just over 3 hours. Again, the internal temperature of the chicken should be at least 165 degrees.
This is one of those recipes that seems very fancy, but is very, very easy. Trust me your family is going to love it!
- 1 whole chicken, 4-5 lbs
- 1 lemon, cut in half
- salt and pepper
- 1 stick of butter
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp dried rosemary
- Preheat oven to 350 or 275 depending on how you want to cook it.
- Wash and pat dry the chicken. Don't forget to take out the chicken innards in the cavity of the chicken. Place chicken in a roasting pan.
- Season the inside of the cavity and the outside with some salt and pepper. Place both halves of the lemon in the cavity of the chicken.
- In a small bowl melt the butter, then add the garlic powder and dried rosemary. Mix well.
- Baste the chicken with the butter mixture and place the chicken in the oven.
- Cook according to your chosen methods. Baste every 20 to 30 minutes.