Three or four years ago I saw Giada De Laurentiis make this Steak and Pasta dish on the Food Network and I’ve been making it ever since. I have tweaked it a bit to suit our tastes.
Pasta and steak are two of the best food combinations ever. I’m an Idaho girl so eating steak is in my blood and I must have some Italian in me because I could eat pasta every day.
The best part of the dish is the sauce. It’s a great combination of balsamic vinegar, Dijon mustard and olive oil. It’s so creamy and full of flavor.
Add some cherry tomatoes and it’s a complete meal.
- 1 New York strip steak or steak of your choice. You only need 1
- 1 lb. penne pasta
- 1 tsp herbs de Provence
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ¾ cup olive oil, use extra-virgin
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp Dijon mustard
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- ½ tsp dried basil
- ½ tsp dried parsley
- 1 container of cherry tomatoes, you can leave them whole or slice them in half
- Season your steak with a bit of salt, pepper, the herbs de Provence and garlic. In a skillet add about 3 tbsp of olive oil over medium heat. Cook steak about 7 to 8 minutes per side, depending on how you like your steak cooked. After it's cooked, let it rest for five minutes. Then thinly slice it.
- Cook the pasta according to package directions. Drain pasta, reserving ¼ cup of pasta water.
- In a bowl, whisk the olive oil, balsamic vinegar, Dijon mustard, salt, pepper, basil and parsley.
- In a large bowl, toss the pasta with half the dressing and some of the pasta water. Add the steak, the rest of the dressing and the cherry tomatoes. Toss, season with salt and pepper if needed and serve.