It’s totally not the season for strawberries, but once in awhile I do find some good ones at my grocery store.
A couple of weekend’s ago I was in the mood for this strawberry tart or maybe I’m just wishing for summer. This dish makes me think of a warm summer evening. I love the combination of the sweet and savory that this tart offers. Best of all, it’s super quick to put together, perfect for a quick dessert for dinner guests.
- 1 refrigerated pie crust
- 1 cup of strawberries, cut into bite-sized pieces. You can use different fruits and change the amounts to what you want.
- 2 Tbsp. sugar, plus 1 tsp. for sprinkling on the crust
- 1 Tbsp. cornstarch
- 1 whole egg, beaten
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees
- Gently unfold the pie crust and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper
- In a bowl, gently mix together the fruit, sugar and cornstarch. Then pour into a strainer to release
- and extra juices.
- Pour the mixture into the center of the pie crust, leaving a 2 inch border.
- Fold up the uncovered border over the edge of the fruit and pinch into pleats.
- Brush the crust with the beaten egg, and sprinkle with the remaining sugar.
- Bake in oven until crust is lightly browned, 12 to 15 minutes.
- Serve warm and is great with a scoop of ice cream.