My goal this year is to try different healthy recipes, but desserts were not on my list. I like my fattening desserts and wasn’t about to change that. Then…I found this recipe and it intrigued me. So. I. Was. Wrong. Healthy dessert can be delicious and healthy.
Even my guy liked it, strawberry was his favorite. There are a few steps to this recipe, but it goes together pretty quickly.
from the American Heart Association Cookbook
1/4 cup skim milk and 1/2 cup skim milk, divided use
1 envelope unflavored gelatin
3/4 cup fat-free or nonfat ricotta cheese
3/4 cup fat-free or nonfat cottage cheese
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla
10 frozen strawberries, thawed and drained
4 tbsp shaved sweet chocolate
1. Pour 1/4 cup milk into a blender. Sprinkle the gelatin over the milk. Let stand for 2 minutes.
2. In a saucepan, bring the remaining 1/2 cup milk to a boil over high heat. Add to the gelatin mix after the 2 minute standing time. Blend for 1 minute.
3. Add the ricotta cheese, cottage cheese, sugar and vanilla. Blend for 2 minutes. Divide the mixture among two bowls. Clean the blender.
4. Process the strawberries until smooth. Add to one of the bowls of pudding mixture.
5. Add the chocolate to the other bowl of pudding mixture.
6. Refrigerate for 3 hours or until firm.
You can make just strawberry or just chocolate. Next time I’m going to make the strawberry for a dinner party. You could also layer the two flavors together like a parfait. Very elegant.