It’s been a cold and blistery week here in Utah. Looks like winter might be arriving…until next week.
Gotta love the unpredictable weather!
Since it was cold out I decided that soup was a good dinner choice. For some reason I have made very few soups in my life. I always think they look too complicated. Not this one, it was super easy to put together.
I got this recipe from Our Best Bites new cookbook. I’ve adapted it slightly to fit our needs.
This is a must make recipe. It’s spicy, cheesy and very filling. I served it with some garlic breadsticks.
Sausage Tortellini Soup
adapted from Our Best Bites
3 to 4 Italian sausage links
1 onion, diced
3 garlic cloved, minced
1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes
1 (8 oz) can tomato sauce
1/2 cup apple cider
1/2 cup water
2 (15 oz) cans chicken broth
1 to 2 cups of carrots, chopped
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp dried basil
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
pinch of pepper
2 tbsp dried parsley
1 package (10 oz) package of cheese tortellini
1. Get all your ingredients set out on your table and chop all your vegetables.
2. Take the sausage out of it’s casings and add it to a large pot and begin cooking it on medium heat.
3. Add your chopped onions and minced garlic. Cook until onions are translucent.
4. Add tomatoes, tomato sauce, apple cider, water, chicken broth, carrots and the spices. Simmer for 30 minutes. I did it for an hour, but that’s my preference.
5. Add the pasta and cook until pasta is done. Takes about 10 minutes.
Super easy and so delicious.